Thursday 4 April 2013



MILITARY GROUND-FIGHTING: Facing the Blade-1
Author: Odhinn Kohout

I consistently see a great deal of ground-fighting material that the Military tries to incorporate into a CQC program which in my opinion is too complicated and almost impossible to perform while wearing kit. On the flip side there are Military personnel who are completely closed minded to learning ground-combatives in any format which I also believe is also wrong. To believe that you will never be knocked down in fight or have an attacker try to finish you off from a top position of some kind is orientated purely in wishful thinking.

In this lesson I will address the limited mobility of wearing layers of gear which will make it very difficult for you to have much dexterity off your back.

 
 


 

In picture you see that the Attacker has pulled a blade and attempted to slash in some downward trajectory. From the startled flinch I am NOT using a guard position as having the bad-guy tied down to me makes no sense from a Military perspective. My left foot (although obscured in the picture) is on his right hip and pushing him back. My right leg is controlling his angle of attack from left side of his body.
Do not get too hung up with these leg positions because if someone pulled a knife and was trying to stab your face repeatedly, is it really logical to think that you would be focused on your leg positions at this moment?...The answer is NO.
I overhook his right arm with my left and once the fulcrum of the elbow is locked I break the joint using my hips and NOT my arms. The hips or core strength is used to facilitate the joint break.
Notice I didn’t say; “when he submits or taps-out…”
His mental state of deciding to stop the attack is irrelevant to this training outcome. The technique MUST be performed to fruition in order to stop the attacker from re-engaging you. This is a very important fact which is often overlooked in training for combat.

Good luck with your training Gentlemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment