Sunday 24 February 2013



Knives, Arm-breaks, and fulcrum points…(Part-1)
Author: Odhinn Kohout

A nightmare scenario is fighting off your back against an Attacker armed with a knife. This is that moment in time when fancy ground-fighting techniques are not what you need to save your life but something based on gross motor skills that is easy to remember under stress.

Besides the obvious, of blocking the initial slashes or stabs and protecting major arteries as best as you can… You will need to try and grab the weapon arm and pull it in tight and pin it to your chest. This will give you a moment in time to escape from this critical incident.
  
 
In the photo that I have posted I have used my legs to:

1.       Hook over his head in order to drive him down towards the ground

2.       Use my other R-Leg under his armpit to push him off center

3.       Using my hips to bridge up to break the elbow

The Fulcrum affected in this photo is the elbow joint. Although the Attacker may in reality be stronger than me his one elbow is NOT stronger than my hips and it will break quite easily giving you a safe escape route and the ability to now create a reactionary gap from the bad guy.

Give it a try next class and remember to go easy with this technique and look after the safety of your training partner.

Be safe Guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment